Wednesday, May 26, 2010

CSA


A CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is like a share in a farm. Farmers offer a certain number of shares, and people can buy one or more of those shares and receive a share of the harvest during farming season. Some farmers augment their deliveries with goods from other farms, others do not. Some CSAs allow you to choose what you receive in your box week-to-week, others do not.
Our CSA describes itself as a "culinary adventure," which is a nice way of saying you don't get to pick what you get. I thought I might share some of our "culinary adventure" with you. I actually do like getting produce that I normally would not buy. It seems I want to use every last bit of the produce and find new favorite recipes that way.
Like you would expect, the yields begin rather small and expand as fruits and vegetables grow into season, then wane again as the harvesting year comes to a close. The top picture is from week 1, the bottom is from this week (week 3). I have some baby bok choy that I need to figure out what to do with, but otherwise everything is already spoken for!

If you haven't already, check out www.localharvest.org to find a CSA in your area!

2 comments:

  1. There is NOTHING better than fresh veggies (and fruits, too). Our farmer's market starts in a few weeks. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it exciting! I love the farmer's market, too! Ours is beginning soon, too!!

    ReplyDelete